As we develop, we must remember that community is one of the primary aspects of our life. Although various businesses and companies are money-driven and function as per their own needs, the requirement of building a community is necessary.
As per the definition, community building is “directed effort and practices to create or enhance a community in a specific area (neighborhood).” In simpler terms, the enhancement of a community can also be based on similar interests or among specific individuals.
However, the point to be noted here is that enhancement is done at the level of community.
Importance of Community Building and how it has changed
Humans have always remained in circles and groups. Since the beginning of time, we have lived in communities, and we have sustained ourselves in the same. A community is usually driven by people of similar interests and ideas. Usually, such people come together and develop more ideas and enhance their community over the years.
Earlier, community building was strictly restricted to word-of-mouth and various types of get-togethers. However, in those times there weren’t so many distractions, hence it was easier to achieve. In modern times, although social media and various other aspects have made spreading ideas easier, the number of distractions pose some threat.
Modern Community Building
With the advent of the internet, the world has become easier to communicate with. Large online communities, groups and organisations can be formed easily today. Such groups are a hub for like-minded people.
Furthermore, as we have advanced, various tactics have developed. To build a better community, marketers brought in free goodies. However, this tactic does not work for the present generation. In today’s time, one would have to offer them free goods which are better than what other brands charge money for.
Community building in modern times has transcended into trust building.
What are the benefits of good community building for your business and brand?
Here are some benefits of building a good community for your business and brand:
- If you have a local product, building a local community will be good for you. Not only will you gain the trust of your customers, but will also be able to connect to your customers.
- A good community also allows your business to connect to your customers easily. You can find a way to help your customers, enhance their life.
- Your business will also be able to help the community. You can target various issues and help your community do better.
How to build a community?
Although most of us understand what a community stands for and what it is, we are usually lost when it comes to building one. Here are some tips as to how you can build one:
- Fix what is wrong: Many brands and businesses try to do the right thing. However, with a lot on their plate, many just can’t get the job right. Observe and find out why various people fail, then fix those issues.
- Change the Mode of connection: It is true that the internet has allowed us to get closer and communicate better. But it has also made our interpersonal communication weaker. So rather than simply concentrating on an online community, go offline as well.
- Segment an Existing Group: Have a look at your friend circle, find out where your friends are and try to use that group. Segment your network, and try to pick a niche to work with.
- Don’t forget to research: There are many communities out there. However, not all of them are perfect. To ensure that your community works perfectly fine, you should try to do some research. Understand where your business can leave a mark and pick that up.
- Innovation is the Key: Think outside the box. Do not go along with mainstream ideas. Find out better and easier ways of working with things. Let go of the age-old boring stuff, and bring in something new and better.
- Start a Junto: Ben Franklin did it in the earlier times. He started a group, with twelve people initially, all from diverse occupations. They came together to provide structured help and mutual improvement. You should try that out too!
- Perspective and Development: To appeal to a community, to ensure the betterment of a community, you need to come up with a different perspective. For better community building, you need to have a perspective and understand how you would develop the community as a whole.
With the above-mentioned points in mind, you will be able to find the best way of dealing with community building problems. What is more, you will be able to help your community be better.
Some tips on building a community
Concerned if you will be able to do a good job when it comes to helping a community grow? Then here is what you need to keep in mind:
- Before you begin to chalk out a plan for building a community, you need to research and do the necessary homework first.
- Time is the key. Do not hurry with your ideas. You need to know what you can do and how you can do what you want. Always make it a point to:
- Understand your community,
- Know what your community does, and
- How to appeal to the community.
- Be patient with your goals and dreams. The thing is that you need to work with a community as though you are watering a plant. It takes time.
- To understand your community members better, ask questions. Empathize with them and observe what they like.
- Give your members a personal touch. You need to ensure that your members not only feel accepted but loved. Treat every member as though they are a rockstar.
With the above-mentioned tips, you will be able to find a way to create a community and help it grow. Community building has become an essential part of all businesses in today’s world.
Image Source: Pexels.com